Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default foam vs. fiber insulation

On 4/16/2011 11:13 PM, wrote:
Hello all,

Looking for opinions on crawl space insulation. This is for an old
rent house on block and pad foundation. I am considering either R13 or
1 1/2" rigid foam (vapor barrier on one side and radiant barrier on
the other).

Fiber seems to have better cumulative R-value. However, I don't know
if bugs and crawlies nesting in it will be an issue. I can get the 1
1/2 for about 10 dollars a piece. Fiber will let me do this
incrementally as time allows.

Trying to get a feel on what is the better option.

thanks
richard

Get it spray-foamed. You can probably take an energy credit (if I
understand the IRS page correctly), and you can depreciate it on your
taxes (schedule E) as a substantial improvement.

--
aem sends...