Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How Sharp Do You Keep an Axe?

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 16:23:06 -0700 (PDT), Nahmie
wrote:

On Apr 16, 9:04Â*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
P.S: Did you ever get that truck out of that ditch? Â*(Some synapses
never die; memory persists;sorry!) Â*gd&r

Yup, got the truck out late that night. How did you remember? I'd
forgotten it until you mentioned it.

The incident inspired me. (To what, I have no idea, it just did.)

BTW, that was the same axe my Uncle used for splitting all the time.
It wasn't really DULL dull, just didn't have a real sharp edge. It was
also a double-bit axe, wwith the other end sharpened. I've always
liked a double-bit, just seems to feel better balanced.(to me, anyway)

I agree, and balance is important to me. I get more work done with a 5
or 8# sledge than a 20. OTOH, I have a 5# one-sided sledge with just
a bit of triangular head on the other side. It has caused more misses
than any single hammer I've ever had the misfortune of grabbing.
Someone gave it to me and I haven't been successful in finding a new
home for it. I guess I don't want the karma that might come with
passing it on.

Long as we're digtging up memories . . . . do you still have the speil
about "dark suckers" Thatb was you, wasn't it?

Yeah, I still have it. Someone recently posted it either here on on
Wreck.Metalheads.

And while we're in the land of memories, let us not forget antigrav.

--snip--
Asking the mystic Oracle...

Question: If you drop a buttered piece of bread, it will fall on the
floor butter side down. If a cat is dropped from a window or some
other high and towering place, it will land on its feet.

But if you attach a buttered piece of bread, butter side up to a cat's
back and toss them both out the window? Will the cat land on its feet?
Or will the butter splat on the ground?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:

Even if you are too lazy to do the experiment yourself you should be
able to deduce the obvious result. The laws of butterology demand that
the butter must hit the ground, and the equally strict laws of feline
aerodynamics demand that the cat can not smash its furry back.

If the combined construct were to land, nature would have no way to
resolve this paradox. Therefore, it simply does not fall.

That's right, you clever mortal, (well, as clever as a mortal can get)
you have discovered the secret of *ANTIGRAVITY*! A buttered cat will,
when released, quickly move to a height where forces of cat-twisting
and butter repulsion are in equilibrium. This equilibrium point can be
modified by scraping off some of the butter, or removing some of the
cat's limbs (not recommended, as it produces an unfavourably high
demand for fresh cats), allowing descent.

Most of the civilized species of the Universe already use this very
principle to drive their ships while within a planetary system. The
loud humming heard by most sighters of UFOs, is, in fact, the purring
of several hundred tabbies.

The one obvious danger is, of course, that if the cats manage to eat
the bread off their backs they will instantly plummet. Of course the
cats *will* land on their feet, but this generally doesn't do them
much good at all, since shortly after they make their graceful landing
several tons of red-hot starship and ****ed off aliens come crashing
down on top of them.

--snip--

--
Threee days before Tucson, Howard Dean explained that the
tea party movement is "the last gasp of the generation that

Let us hope that Dean is the last gasp of the generation
of liberals whose default position in any argument is to
indict opponents as racists. This McCarthyism of the left
-- devoid of intellectual content, unsupported by data --
is a mental tic, not an idea but a tactic for avoiding
engagement with ideas. It expresses limitless contempt for
the American people, who have reciprocated by reducing
liberalism to its current characteristics of electoral
weakness and bad sociology. --George Will 14 JAN 2011
Article titled "Tragedies often spark plenty of analysis"