Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Shop Safety

On 4/16/2011 9:19 AM, HeyBub wrote:
wrote:

Yale must have some real morons in admin...turning students loose,
ALONE AND UNSUPERVISED, in a machine shop? Employees attend safety
lectures? Even the few kids nowadays with experience with power
tools, a lathe is a whole 'nother animal.

She was not a "kid." She was a graduate student in Astronomy, presumably
around 23-25 years old.

I have worked with and for some very brainy people that I had to take
the tools out of their hands and make up errands for them to run. I was
scared they were going to trash the tools and/or the item being worked
on, and/or injure themselves or me. Book-smart doesn't mean they ever
learned how to use tools, and some people just aren't wired that way.
But yeah, whoever the strawboss was for that shop, should only have
passed out after-hours keys to people he or she knew had enough
experience to be trusted. And some machines should be a 'no lone zone'-
you don't fire them up without a spotter to call 911. Sorta like doing
confined-space or high work by yourself- not a good idea even for
experienced people.

--
aem sends...

--