Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Good Mailbox Paint

On Apr 15, 3:43*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:28:31 -0700, "walter"
wrote:

After we had two I items stolen from our rural mailbox, I bought one of
those big lockable boxes:

http://www.amazon.com/Architectural-...Locking-Mailbo...

I don't like the black paint. Would like to paint it gray. What kind of
paint should I use to withstand rain for years to come. Some kind of epoxy?

Thanks

Walter

If it's locked, how does the postal worker get the mail into it?
I never heard of a locked mailbox.

And locking it is no guarantee of mail safety. *They'll just steal the
whole mailbox. *I live in a rural area and every few years some kids
go around with baseball bats and smash mailboxes. *It has not happened
since the sheriffs caught them though about 2 years ago. *But there
will probably be others.......

My biggest problem is that the mailman cant shut the door tight on my
box and then it rains and I got soaked mail. *I've complained to the
post office at least 5 times, and they always claim there's something
wrong with my box. *Yea, right.... it shuts just fine for me.

The letter carrier assigned your route will not fuss with your box...

It shuts just fine for you, but you only have to use that one box
once per day, six days per week... It is unrealistic to expect
your carrier to remember the trick to close your box when it is
one of thousands along their route...

If getting wet mail is that much of a problem for you, construct
a small roof which is larger than the mailbox and protects the
contents from rail or whatever even when the door is slightly
opened and then hang the mailbox from that roof...

Gee, I mean you are the one with the problem here -- not the
post office... The letter carriers are expected to receive giant
carts of mail inside the post office, sort it all so it can be
delivered, then deliver it along the route and now you want
them to remember how to close your box tightly and properly?

ROFL... How much do you want to pay for postage man?

Or maybe you think that only half the people should get
their mail in a day because it takes twice as long to close
each mailbox properly because of a few customers with
hairs across their ass like yourself... Workday is only
8 hours long man...

~~ Evan