Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Latex or enamel for covered porch ?

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 10:48:38 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On Apr 15, 6:51*pm, "James Nipper"
wrote:
I am sanding down a covered porch down to bare wood, and I am going to paint
it. *It is a "covered" porch in that it has a roof over it, but it is not
fully protected, *as it has open sides. *So, it does get some wetness from
blowing rain and snow.

I plan to use a basic primer, and then roll on the paint. * Which paint is
best for this porch, latex, or enamel ? * * Why ? * * Is either available in
semi-gloss ?

Are any of the Walmart paints decent for this use ?

Thank you very much !!

James

Enamel is a term for gloss and hardness, there is no enamel in paint,
if you mean latex or oil, a true oil primer penetrates deeper as its
molicules are smaller than latex. Quick dry primers dont do as well as
good ol oil primer. Kilz is not a great primer for exterior. I wouldnt
use Walmart but buy at a real paint store and get their advise. One
coat oil primer and latex top coat is a great way to go. You can stain
but you get a flat finish that will mark up easier. Saving on paint
can take a job that might last 20-30 years into a problem in 5-7
years. A full service paint store is best. Benjamin moore or Sherwin
Williams is good.

All good advice. I'd add, the final tint color can be added to the oil
primer, which will help coverage. Sometimes they add 1/3 or 1/2 tint (helps
see your coverage, too). Latex should be used for the top coat because it has
better UV resistance and will last longer than oil. ...not to mention that
it's a whole lot easier to apply. ;-)