Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default How Sharp Do You Keep an Axe?

On Apr 16, 12:36*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

For those who care.... I quickly discovered the benefits of an axe that
is sharp enough to "stick" and have to be pulled out, rather than bounce
off.

Makes a whole lotta sense to me. A survey crew I worked on one summer
(we laid out the monument system for Bruce Nuclear Power plant back in
'67) had a few 'axe-men' as well as a few chainsaw guys blazing a
trail to create line-of-sight for the surveyors.
Those ax guys gave those blades a quick file and hone every chance/
break they had. "To stop the ax from bouncing." Those guys would take
care of a 3" maple sapling with a couple of one-handed swipes with a
small ax.