Mark and Kim Smith

Default Best three easy improvements to my shop. How about yours?

I've been reading the threads on using plastic pipe of various material
and problems with them either shrapneling or blowing. Shops I work in
use the systems built back in the 50's, 60's and 70's consisting of
galvanized pipe. Tried and true systems. So why not use the tried and
true ways I tend to ask myself?? The ol' "Pay me now or pay me later"
If you treat them right ( bleed moisture nightly, etc ) they'll last
forever. Or, you can keep patching your plastic pipe over and over.
Even if you saved money up front, you'll probably lose that in materials
for repair and labor to do it. Don't know as I have no experience with
plastic. Just the concerns I read from others.

As for "L" copper, sounds like it has the proper rating so it'll work
just fine. Same way to assemble?? By soldering joints, etc? As for 2
stage, 3 phase etc, type of compressor, that doesn't mean anything.
What counts the most is the setting of your relief valve or "popoff"
valve in your system. Most are set at 150 psi. Most systems run at 120
psi or so. Most all "bought" compressors have the relief valve built
in, no need to add it to the system. A nice thing to add would be an
automatic spitter to bleed off moisture and scare folks that aren't used
to hearing such a thing!

Along the automotive lines, if you need something flexible in a
permanent air line, hydraulic one-wire hose would work. It'll get you
around corners pretty easy and last forever. Too tough to use at the
tool end though. It has a working pressure of 2500 ( for 3/8" if I
remember correctly. Should increase for larger sizes. Largest size I
have worked with was about 2" on a 35 ton rough terrain crane. ) With a
burst much higher than that. We're talking Parker or Aeroquip stuff.
And no need to press fittings as both manufacturers make reusable fittings.

Bay Area Dave wrote:

BTW, the burst pressure of L is MORE than 2,600 PSI. I couldn't find
the exact figure, but it's MORE than that. also, the 175 PSI figure I
mentioned was for a 2 stage, 3 phase compressor I had for the auto
shop...

dave

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Hmmmm, a couple of questions. What pressure are you running your
air system at and does anyone know the pressure rating of "L" copper??

Bay Area Dave wrote:

just got done moving the air hose reel from the wall opposite my
work bench, to overhead, near the bench. Why didn't I install one
years ago??? Used 1/2" "L" copper pipe. Was a breeze to install
except for getting to one of the mounting screws behind the reel.
Attacked it with a quarter inch ratchet and ultra short phillips bit.

dave

Rich Stern wrote:

I just finished a project and was cleaning up the shop, moving
stuff around to
get at all the sawdust, putting tools back, etc. I was musing
about changes
I've made to my workshop over the years, thinking about the
successes and the
failures. Here's what I came up with for my best three:

1) Compressed air from an overhead, retractable reel. How the heck
did I get
through the early years without this? I leave my portable
compressor hooked up
via quick disconnect to a feed line for the overhead reel. I can
disconnect
and roll out quickly if I need the compressor in the yard, garage,
or at a
neighbor's. The reel also has a quick disconnect, stuffed with a
blowgun when
not using any other air tools. This setup is great for
woodworking, but the
air gets used for all kinds of other tasks, too.

2) Stopped overcrowding the shop with machines. For years, my
semi-portable
power tools were set up and ready to work. Visions of moving from
station to
station with effortless efficiency. I thought it made projects go
faster. The
opposite is true. As I run low on space, the shop gets messy and
projects
begin to crawl. Now I take out the miter saw, belt/disk sander,
scroll saw,
etc. only when needed. The rest of the time, I enjoy the free
space around the
bigger machines. The shop stays much cleaner.

3) Rolling tool chest. You know, the mechanic's type. Just a low
end,
stacking unit from Lowes. Measuring tools, wrenches, sockets,
screwdrivers,
drill bits, etc, stay organized and dust free, and I can wheel the
thing around
if needed. My pegboarding of all this stuff never stayed
organized. Somehow,
I manage to keep it neat in the rolling cabinet.

What are your best three easy imrpovements?