Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack B. Pollack Jack B. Pollack is offline

Default Dripping water dispencer on refrig

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Apr 15, 3:04 pm, "Jack B. Pollack" wrote:
I have a Whirlpool sided-by-side refrigerator with ice & water in the
freezer door. Recently the water dispenser has started leaking. The
problem
is definitely not that the dispenser switch is being pressed as I have
physically disconnected the switch for testing.

With the switch connected I press a glass into the dispense. The water
dispenses. I physically disconnect the electrical switch (that the glass
ultimately presses) but several drops of water continue to drip. Sometimes
it is just a few drops, other times it is enough to eventually overflow
the
collector tray at the bottom of the dispenser. Always though it is just a
drip, a few drops at a time, not the full water volume as while filling a
glass.

Is this a common problem? What is the usual cause (a solenoid)?

If it is a solenoid (or other part) where is the most common place to
locate
it (the door, freezer body, etc)?

Thanks

A single grain of sand in the solenoid can cause the dripping you
describe. Do you have a filter in the water line input to the
refrigerator? If so, have you ever replaced the filter cartridge?
Taking the solenoid apart is one way, or you could try to reverse
flush it while the coil is energized, or buy a new one.

That makes perfect sense as I live in an apartment building and the building
turned off the water yesterday,
When they turn it back on there is a lot of gunk in it.

I'm going to try to run a lot of water through it, maybe it will wash out.

If I have to replace it where is it most likely located?

Thanks this was really helpful in at least understanding what happened.