Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Electric mower battery

wrote in
:

The batteries i your mower are sealed, so they don't leak acid when
the mower is tilted. Is there a sealed car battery that will fit the
space?

John

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 13:21:33 -0800, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

Got a dumb question.... I have an electric mower that uses two 12V
lead acid batteries wired in series to give 24V. The batteries are
marked 18Ah. Cost is around $100 for one 12v, or $140 for 2 in
series, including shipping.

from GOOGLE;
Amazon has UB12180 12/18AH SLA batteries for $30.Don't know how much for
shipping.
another place has the same for $50 including shipping.

you can probably get similar pricing from local battery supplies,since
those are common in mowers,"Jump starters",and kids scooters.But you will
pay sales tax.

For the same money or less, I can get two std 12v car batteries and
end up with more amp hours to boot, which would be good for a mower.
Heavier to push around, but that's not a problem.

I don't know nuthin about how amp-hours work - reckon this would be a
good idea? Anyone had experience with this kind of thing before?

Bob

car batteries are not designed for the type of discharge that lawn mowers
perform.Car batteries give high currents for a brief period,then get
recharged immediately,while the deep discharge batteries in mowers output a
moderate current for a long period.

Use the same replacement batteries.

--
Jim Yanik