Posted to alt.home.repair
walter walter is offline

Default Good Mailbox Paint

--
wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:28:31 -0700, "walter"
wrote:

After we had two I items stolen from our rural mailbox, I bought one of
those big lockable boxes:

http://www.amazon.com/Architectural-...2884670&sr=8-1

I don't like the black paint. Would like to paint it gray. What kind of
paint should I use to withstand rain for years to come. Some kind of
epoxy?

Thanks

Walter

If it's locked, how does the postal worker get the mail into it?
I never heard of a locked mailbox.

And locking it is no guarantee of mail safety. They'll just steal the
whole mailbox. I live in a rural area and every few years some kids
go around with baseball bats and smash mailboxes. It has not happened
since the sheriffs caught them though about 2 years ago. But there
will probably be others.......

My biggest problem is that the mailman cant shut the door tight on my
box and then it rains and I got soaked mail. I've complained to the
post office at least 5 times, and they always claim there's something
wrong with my box. Yea, right.... it shuts just fine for me.

These mailboxes have two compartments. The upper one is for the mailman to
drop the mail in. The mail then drops into the lower compartment via a
chute, where it can be retrieved by the owner by means of a key to the lower
compartment. The chute prevents someone else from removing the mail through
the top compartment (unlocked!)

Well, yes, I had my mail box stolen and vandalized, too. The sheriff found
it and I retrieved it from him. Since then I am bolting down my mailbox with
heavy lag screws. Seems to work. A heavy steel fence post next to the box
prevents kids from bashing it while driving by.

Sometimes I wonder about the state of the world.