Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.energy.renewable,alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Feeding solar power back into municipal grid: Issues and finger-pointing

On Apr 15, 3:41*pm, "
wrote:
On Apr 15, 3:30*am, harry wrote:

On Apr 15, 12:40*am, "

wrote:
On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 08:52:52 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:
On Apr 13, 3:24*am, harry wrote:
On Apr 13, 12:07*am, Home Guy wrote:

bud-- full-quoted:

A devastating analysis.

I am sure when the utilities read it they will stop paralleling
generators,

How many utilities connect the output of new parallel generating sources
to the 120/208 connection side of a grid, instead of at the sub-station
high-voltage side?

Irrelevent.

For once I agree with Harry. * We can forget about generators and
distributions systems. *Just take two 12V batteries and connect
them in parallel to a 12ohm resistor. *Under Homeguy's
theories, I don;t know what he thinks would happen. *But
clearly he thinks if we put a second AC power source on
a distributions system, it has to be at a higher voltage to
"push" current out.

Oh, but according to Homeguy, that doesn't work because batteries are VOLTAGE
sources. *slap!

So, what happens with the two batteries? * Under the laws
of physics the rest of us use the voltage would remain at
12 volts and BOTH batteries would be supplying part of
the 1 AMP flowing through the resistors.

Not on Homeguy's and Vaughn's planet. *One of the batteries will be charging
the other.- Hide quoted text -

That is correct. One charges, the other discharges. Eventually
equilbrium will be achieved and the current will cease.
If there was a resistor in parallel with both,the higher voltage
battery would supply current to the other battery and the resistor
until the voltage fell to the lower voltage battery and than both
would supply current to the resistor.- Hide quoted text -

Maybe it wasn't clear what I meant when I said:

"Just take two 12V batteries and connect
them in parallel to a 12ohm resistor. *Under the laws
of physics the rest of us use the voltage would remain at
12 volts and BOTH batteries would be supplying part of
the 1 AMP flowing through the resistor."

I didn't mean two batteries labled nominally as 12V that are
actually at different voltages because one is fully charged, the
other only partially charged. *We were trying to discuss a
simple a comparison as possible of using two power sources
on a circuit.

So, do you agree that under the condition of two identical
fully charged batteries at exactly 12V, connected in
parallel to a load, the current will flow from both
batteries through the load? *I hope you do. *As for Homeguy
he apparently believes one has to be at a higher voltage
to "push" current. *I have yet to hear him explain how the
*batteries then decide which one it will be and how they
will change their voltage to obtain the allegedly necessary
"push" to get the current flowing.- Hide quoted text -

What you say is correct. I was referring to some theory he was on
about with one battery @12V and one @11V