Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Repairing a USB 2.0 hub

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 04:38:14 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Hubs are so cheap -- most are made in ahem China -- you might as well
replace it.

This might also be a good time to put a USB 3.0 card in the computer.

Yes, if it has a PCI-E connector on the motherboard.

So, at what point do I recycle and replace, instead of repair? Well,
I allegedly charge $75/hr. Fixing even the most trivial device will
take about 30 minutes, most of which is cleaning up the mess on the
bench, and doing the inevitable paperwork. That makes the break even
point about $40. Anything worth less than $40 cannot be profitably
fixed. So, I'm suppose to toss mice, keyboards, numerous small PC
cards, disk drives less than 120GB, calculators, floppy drives,
speakers, wall warts, and USB hubs. No wonder I'm losing money and
have too much junk.

Extra credit: Calculate the cost of handling a zero cost repair.
That's a repair job that requires zero time and materials to fix, but
still requires, handling, paperwork, overhead, and possibly shipping.
The last time I did that, based on 200 working daze per year and an 8
hr day, I needed to charge about $100 for a zero cost fix.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D