Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default Repairing a USB 2.0 hub

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 17:35:40 +0800, Man-wai Chang
wrote:

What most likely kill the hub? Could it be repaired in general?
It's a Samsung PUH-7000NB.

I haven't done any autopsies on USB hubs. I've never seen one with
just one blown port (unless it was mechanically damaged). What I have
seen are problems caused by:
1. Plugging in the wrong power supply.
2. Applying power to a powered hub from a miswired adapter.
3. Bad electrolytic caps.
4. Miserable ROHS soldering usually combined with flux all over the
PCB.
5. Probable package leakage on the chip.
6. Sometimes, the connectors are hand soldered, which leaves room for
some sloppy soldering.
7. Counterfeit ID code causing operating system to install the wrong
driver. Yes, you need a driver (USBhub.sys) to run a USB hub in
Windoze.

From what I've seen, the last is the most common followed closesly by
the bad soldering.

--