Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus1116 Ignoramus1116 is offline

Default High metal removal rate drilling

On 2011-04-15, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Apr 15, 12:15?pm, Ignoramus1116
wrote:
For some strange reason, I want to shoot a youtube video, showing how
I remove an ungodly amount of material with a carbide drill, on a CNC
mill.

It would be, sort of, something like a "hold my beer and watch this" stunt.

The point is to just make as many chips as fast as possible, so to
speak.

I would use something like 5/8" drill, drilling a 1/2" mild steel bar.

My question is,

1) Can I run this at 2,500 RPM
2) Do I have to use coolant or not with a carbide drill
3) What would happen if I do NOT use any kind of peck or interrupted
drilling, and just plunge into the material -- would the long chips
be a real hazard?

It might be safer for the camera to do this on a lathe, so the chips
and oil aren't flying all around.

My little 3/4 HP Clausing mill can whip big smoking blue drill chips
around that keep me from reaching the switch to shut it off. When they
become long enough to slap and hang on the column they start to wind
around the bit in a big wad, which traps the emerging chips and
obscures the effect.

jsw

I have an enclosure for the mill. I wanted to drill, say, 100 holes in
3 minutes or something of the sort.