Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus1116 Ignoramus1116 is offline

Default High metal removal rate drilling

For some strange reason, I want to shoot a youtube video, showing how
I remove an ungodly amount of material with a carbide drill, on a CNC
mill.

It would be, sort of, something like a "hold my beer and watch this" stunt.

The point is to just make as many chips as fast as possible, so to
speak.

I would use something like 5/8" drill, drilling a 1/2" mild steel bar.

My question is,

1) Can I run this at 2,500 RPM
2) Do I have to use coolant or not with a carbide drill
3) What would happen if I do NOT use any kind of peck or interrupted
drilling, and just plunge into the material -- would the long chips
be a real hazard?