Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default Blew another damn transformer on my Trane XB80

On 4/14/2011 10:21 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 21:57:39 -0400, Jeff
wrote:

On 4/14/2011 9:43 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 21:12:56 -0400, Jeff
wrote:

On 4/14/2011 5:28 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 14:41:03 -0400, Jeff
wrote:

I'm assuming you mean HUMIDIFIER - and if so, you really SHOULD change
that.

No need, you did it for me.

No, I mean the humidifier should have it's OWN transformer, not
piggyback off the control transformer.

Hmmm, I thought I read somewhere that they sometimes did run off the
same transformer. I thought that was odd, but what do I know?

Ah, here it is:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/hu...hallenges.html

Knowing nothing about this, it would sure seem even to me, better to
have separates. Particularly in the OPs case.

Jeff

Anything I post after 3AM is subject to some errors.

The control transformer is USUALLY sized pretty close to the required
size - adding a humidifier load would be adding an extra load that it
was not designed for - and if the drum sticks and the motor current
goes up???? Anybody's guess.

But it wouldn't be running in AC season anyways.

Now, another angle has just been thrown at us. The last 2
transformewrs blew while the AC was running - cool, not heat.

The AC will UNDOUBTABLY be a 220 volt unit. COULD be a loose neutral
situation after all - or a connection problem - depending how the
thing is wired.

A round of tightening anything screwed down (and giving it a tug to
check), including the breaker is never a bad idea. This plausibly could
cause a big bam boom.

I HOPE the 220 for the AC is a totally different
circuit than the furnace - - - .

We REALLY do not know enough to make a definitive diagnosis.

I agree.

If the OP could unwind the transformer a bit it would help tell. Cut
out the "wrapper" and copper band and see what lies below.

Jeff

Like, any sign of overheating of the actual primary coil? and how
about the secondary??

Absolutely.

It's so nice and peaceful here without the SER crossposts. Ahhhh.

Jeff