Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.energy.renewable,alt.home.repair

Default Feeding solar power back into municipal grid: Issues and finger-pointing

On 4/14/2011 5:48 AM spake thus:

On Apr 13, 9:07 pm, "
wrote:

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 21:23:03 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 4/12/2011 9:06 PM spake thus:

The current will only flow if there is a difference in
voltage.

Correct. Ohms Law.

That is *not* Ohm's Law. Where do you get that? Sheesh--you're
trying to lecture *me* on this stuff???

I think he gets it directly from Ohms Law. V=IR.

Or, I = V/R

If V, the voltage is zero, then I, the current must be zero. Or, in
other words, current will only flow if there is a difference in
voltage.

But that's not Ohm's Law (the statement "current will flow only if there
is a difference in voltage"). Actually, that is a *tautology* (look it
up). In other words, that's the very definition of current, which
requires a potential difference (voltage 0) to flow. Ohm's law didn't
establish that, because it was already established by the time he came
along.

You've correctly stated Ohm's Law, but that's not what it says. Strictly
speaking, what Ohm determined was that the current flowing in a circuit
is proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the
resistance--but only for certain resistors. Specifically, his carefully
calibrated metal resistances, at a certain temperature. So "Ohm's
law"--what he determined experimentally and published--is only this:

I = E / R

and that only at fixed temperature. Turns out "Ohm's law" does *not*
hold for a lot of things that look like resistances in the real world
(for example, any humble tungsten filament fails to observe it).

But that's going waaaaay deeper into it than we need to here ...

--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
nuttin
wan2 hang