Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Blew another damn transformer on my Trane XB80

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 21:12:56 -0400, Jeff Thies
wrote:

On 4/14/2011 5:28 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 14:41:03 -0400, Jeff
wrote:

I'm assuming you mean HUMIDIFIER - and if so, you really SHOULD change
that.

No need, you did it for me.

No, I mean the humidifier should have it's OWN transformer, not
piggyback off the control transformer.

Hmmm, I thought I read somewhere that they sometimes did run off the
same transformer. I thought that was odd, but what do I know?

Ah, here it is:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/hu...hallenges.html

Knowing nothing about this, it would sure seem even to me, better to
have separates. Particularly in the OPs case.

Jeff

Anything I post after 3AM is subject to some errors.

The control transformer is USUALLY sized pretty close to the required
size - adding a humidifier load would be adding an extra load that it
was not designed for - and if the drum sticks and the motor current
goes up???? Anybody's guess.

Now, another angle has just been thrown at us. The last 2
transformewrs blew while the AC was running - cool, not heat.

The AC will UNDOUBTABLY be a 220 volt unit. COULD be a loose neutral
situation after all - or a connection problem - depending how the
thing is wired. I HOPE the 220 for the AC is a totally different
circuit than the furnace - - - .

We REALLY do not know enough to make a definitive diagnosis.