Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default More concrete paving questions

On 4/14/2011 11:37 AM, Joe J wrote:
Still getting estimates on paving the remainder of my driveway. Latest
concrete guy comes in and says they no longer use wire mesh, it ends up
rusting and then popping the concrete, so they mix a fiber mesh right
into the concrete before they pour it. 4 inches.

I'm skeptical, but not against new technology. Any opinions because I've
never heard of this, or seen it. I've always just seen wire mesh laid down.

Called 4 asphalt contractors and not one has returned my calls so far. I
thought contractors and the economy are hurting?
3 concrete guys so far. Two with wire mesh and the above mentioned guy.
Two at 4" and one at 5".

Thanks,

Some contractors are busy.

I had spoken to my asphalt guy last year and checked him out.
Then a week ago he popped up and said he was doing a neighborhood road
near us and we could get a special deal while all his equipment was
here. Four of us out of the 20 houses in our neighborhood took him up
on it.

Last year, at this time, it was my tree guy. He was really backed up.

I think while new construction is way down, lot of contractors are busy
with repairs and upgrades for us folks that are not moving.

Can't answer your concrete question but do know a bit about fiber
reinforced composites. Concrete has good compressive strength but poor
tensile strength and is better when reinforced. Is there a difference
between wire mesh and rebar? I would think that if rebar were used, it
would take many years to rust to the point of uselessness. I had pinned
some concrete bumpers with rebar to the back of my drive over 30 years
ago and when moved for the new driveway, the rebar was still intact.