Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default Blew another damn transformer on my Trane XB80

On 4/14/2011 12:41 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
Steve wrote:

Just mentioned elsewhere that I have a new transformer on order and I can't
really do anything until that arrives.

Sure you could. You could open up those other two transformers and check
for an open thermal fuse. As I recall, you said neither of them failed
in the same manner as the third. I still say you could have 3 distinct,
unrelated failures.

The design of the first transformer makes it virtually impossible to open it up
(remove the tape) without destroying the windings, (which I did) so there is no
possibility of "repairing" it by installing a thermal fuse (as some suggested).
There is evidence of burning at the input contactors just like there is on
the third transformer (the one I took pictures of), but not quite as bad. I
wouldn't call it an "explosion". There is no evidence of a thermal fuse.

On the second transformer (a completely different brand and style) there was no
evidence of burning. Again, it too was virtually impossible to open up with
destroying it, so I didn't bother. However, because everyone has been so
curious, I just did open it up (destroying it in the process) and there IS a
thermal fuse on the input side; it is open, which explains why there is no burning.

The third transformer is similar to the first in design (except for the extra
208 and 240 legs, which, per the instructions, I taped off and ignored). It is
also virtually impossible to remove the tape to gain access to the primary
windings without breaking through the wires, but I did, and again there is no
evidence of a thermal fuse.

I see no reason to conclude there are "3 distinct, unrelated failures".