Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default One for the electrical boys, please ...

Arfa Daily wrote:

We have now found another model from the same manufacturer and range,
which is 2 x 6 kW per unit. This is capable of a 17 kilo per hour
throughput of frozen chips, so we think that two of these will be
plenty adequate for the busy nights. So, with those both on, there is
the potential for a 24 kW draw worst case, both thermostats on
together. Now, a slightly different question arises. According to
the specs, this unit can be configured for single phase or two phase
operation. What would be the story there ? Would it be both 6 kW
elements paralleled up for single phase, and one element on each of
two phases for a two phase configuration ? Given the knowledge of
what supply we are going to have, which would be the preferred way of
hooking them up - all factors such as cost of fittings, cable,
labour, practicality for supply loading etc, considered ?

Many normal household hobs come with wiring diagrams for 1, 2 and 3 phase
supplies. When using the single phase option then all the live terminal are
linked together at the hob.

The use of a single phase would need you to balance the other two phases
with other appliances.

--
Adam