Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home[_3_] dennis@home[_3_] is offline

Default paving slab cutting

"Stephen" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 21:36:31 +0100, "Phil L"
wrote:

You've missed my point, the OP asked for a table type cutter, like for
tiles...try and slide a 60lb slab into a rotating diamond disc throwing
water all over the place...TIP: the number you want is 999 and ask for
'ambulance', don't forget to pack the severed body part(s) in ice and take
them with you

I hadn't thought about kick back. I can see how dangerous that could
be. And you are right, a 600x600mm slab is very heavy so would be
difficult to lift and slide. So it makes sense to keep the heavy slab
stationery and move the lighter angle grinder. Thanks.

The fact that it heavy makes kick back less likely. There isn't enough
energy there to throw a 60 lb slab at any real speed.
Its like putting a car on a rolling road and running it up to 70 mph and
stopping the road suddenly, the car just jerks and stalls as there isn't
enough energy stored to actually make it do much.

there is an episode of challenge Tommy where he hired a diamond bladed table
saw.
He used it to cut bricks, roofing tiles and slabs with ease.
They were not 2x3 pressed slabs so weren't particularly heavy, but I don't
suppose he thinks they are heavy as he moves heavy stuff around a lot.
BTW it didn't throw water all over the place (it was water cooled) and
didn't appear to suffer from kick back but it did have some sort of locking
bar to hold the work on the sliding table. Probably interlocked so you
couldn't use it incorrectly.
It would cut bricks in half in a few seconds, they didn't show him cutting
the others.

On other occasions he used an angle grinder and even a diamond chain saw
both of which were more dangerous.