Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser[_3_] Lobby Dosser[_3_] is offline

Default Safest Method?

"Arch" wrote in message

I too have a metal lathe and a
small horizontal mill and I can work to a fifteen thousanth.
(of a yard!)

I think a metal bit removes metal by making a series of tiny chips and
doesn't cut in the same way that longer bevelled thin edged turning
tools cut wood fibers.

Arch,

I think it depends on the hardness of the metal being worked. I've turned
zirconium and had curly shavings. Titanium, however, produced very tiny
chips. When turning Ti, if you get too much dust and get the work too hot it
is pretty easy to start a fire in the ways. The difference between a hard
and soft metal is almost like the difference between a 'wet' wood and wood
which is very dry.

Regards,
LD