Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mag Chuck

"RS at work" wrote in message
On Apr 13, 9:51 am, Bob La Londe wrote:
What kind of holding force do mag chucks have? As much as something
like the magnets in the magna bend?

Bob,

I assume that you are asking this because you are thinking about a DIY
Magna bend. One possible source would be your local locksmith or gate
company. Magnetic locks are sometimes taken off due to a failure of
the monitoring switch, but the mag is still good. those would be
about the right size for a such a project.

DOH!

I do access control work (among other things), and have installed more than
a couple mag locks. I have a couple on the shelf in the shop. I think I
have a couple 1200 pounders even. I know I have some 600 pounders.

I wonder if Securitron will sell me just mags instead of full kits.

Now, that's something I should have thought of... and a lot cheaper than
magnetic chucks to play with.