Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default "Safety-Screw" Removal ?

On 4/13/2011 2:41 PM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

The pushbutton, all plastic, piece that opens my microwave door broke,
but I was able to get a new one from a parts place on the internet.

But, the screws that hold the metal microwave cover in place are
apparently some kind of a safety-screw, which I'm having a lot of
trouble with.

Obviously, Whirlpool doesn't want the home user to take the cover off.

The small screw heads look like either Allen or Torex, but they have a
pin in the center to prevent any normal wrench from engaging.
Have never seen any Allen or Torex or..., with a hole in the center for
getting over the screw's pin.

Any idea what kind of wrench might be called for ?

Nope. But any good hardware store should have set of security bits.
There are a lot of different kinds and sizes. Forget looking at HD.

Jeff

Thanks,
Bob