Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default "Safety-Screw" Removal ?

On Apr 13, 2:41*pm, Bob wrote:
Hello,

The pushbutton, all plastic, piece that opens my microwave door broke,
but I was able to get a new one from a parts place on the internet.

But, the screws that hold the metal microwave cover in place are
apparently some kind of a safety-screw, which I'm having a lot of
trouble with.

Obviously, Whirlpool doesn't want the home user to take the cover off.

The small screw heads look like either Allen or Torex, but they have a
pin in the center to prevent any normal wrench from engaging.
Have never seen any Allen or Torex or..., with a hole in the center for
getting over the screw's pin.

Any idea what kind of wrench might be called for ?

Thanks,
Bob

Grab a drill and chuck up a drill bit just small enough to fit between
the pin and the side of the hole of the screw.

One quick squeeze of the trigger and the pin will snap off and pop
right out.

Now grab whatever "normal" tool you need...torx, allen, whatever.