Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Blew another damn transformer on my Trane XB80

As I posted in an earlier post (not sure what values I used, but I'll
run a scenario anyway), assuming a 2 ohm winding, a 2 volt DC
component will cause 1 AMP of current to flow in the winding. IF that
coil happens to be the primary of a 40va transformer,

** A 40VA tranny designed for 120 volt 60 Hz operation has a primary
resistance of 16 ohms.

Getting a 2 volt DC offset on a 120 volt AC supply takes some doing.

Doesn't take much to put 2 volts DC across a 115 volt line.

** Like hell.

For a 2 volt DC offset to exist, the peak voltage in one polarity must be
6.3 volts higher than the other.

With a typical impedance at the outlet of 0.25ohms, this equates to 25 amps
peak load in one polarity and none in the other.

See http://sound.westhost.com/articles/xfmr-dc.htm for more
information from someone who may have a bit more credibility than you
guys may give me.

** I helped Rod write that article.

Toroidal trannys are very sensitive to DC offsets while regular E-core types
are hardly bothered by them - the difference is that while the former has
no air gaps in the core, the latter is full of them.

..... Phil