Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Safest Method?

I too have a metal lathe and a
small horizontal mill and I can work to a fifteen thousanth.
(of a yard!)

I think a metal bit removes metal by making a series of tiny chips and
doesn't cut in the same way that longer bevelled thin edged turning
tools cut wood fibers. If so, do carbide edged wood turning tools cut or
scrape or crush wood or something in between?

Actually, I want to disparage carbide cause I hate to give up my paid
for hss tools, same as I hated to give up my hcs saying they could be
sharpened sharper, knowing that the edge didn't last very long.

All in all for now, I'll keep the grinder running and nearby and stick
with hss. BTW, I bought a carbide tipped turning tool set from AMT ovr
20 years ago. Like the International Scout & Travelall and Scotty's
they had the early market advantage, but didn't keep up and lost out.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter