Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Electrical push connectors

On 4/13/2011 8:02 AM, Bill Gill wrote:

another wire in it. When I poked it the wire nut on the untwisted
wires shot off. The proper procedure is to strip the wires, twist
them together tight, trim off the tip, and then twist on a wirenut.

I don't think any manufacturer's instruction sheet requires that the
wires be pre-twisted...

Here's 3M Scotchlok datasheet which says "Wires may be twisted or
untwisted."

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UuZjcFSLXTtMxMaOxz6EVuQE cuZgVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=78812111272_A.pdf

Here's Ideal Wire-Nut(tm) that says "No pre-twisting required"

http://www.idealindustries.com/prodDetail.do?prodId=wire-nut&div=0&l1=twist-on&l2=wire-nut

Doesn't say "can't"; just that to be NEC-compliant is to follow
manufacturers' instructions which don't say must pre-twist.