Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grumpy Grumpy is offline

Default Are Tools A Better Investment Than Gold?

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
One trend I have seen though several economic cycles is that quality
tools are a better investment than gold with holding their value,
appreciating and ability to convert into cash when needed.

Your thoughts on this curious trend?

TMT

In 1973 a hurricane went through Darwin (Australia) and devestated the
place. The company I worked for had a small brewery there and it took a
pounding. Our Chief Engineer was a clever old ******* who had spent a lot of
time in the oil industy in the middle east. He sent two of our older ( mid
50's) engineers up to rebuild the place as the local engineering manager had
been evacuated. Flights into Darwin were pretty hard to obtain and had a
luggage weight restriction. The two guys that were sent up there took the
minimum in personal stuff but shared the rest of their luggage allowance
with a keg of 4" nails. The old chief said that everyone would need nails.
They were for tradeing not driving.
He was right. Beer and nails were the perfect trade goods in the situation.