Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.energy.renewable,alt.home.repair

Default Feeding solar power back into municipal grid: Issues and finger-pointing

On 4/12/2011 9:30 AM vaughn spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

Is the spindle motor in your DVD player AC? How about the spindle
motor on your hard drive?

No magic there! Spindle motors simplyt substitute solid state switching for
mechanical commutation. Actually, what is fed to the windings of a spindle
motor (though you may "nictpick" by calling it pulsating DC) actually more
resembles 3-phase AC. In fact, the windings of a spindle motor are usually
connected in a wye or delta configuration, sound familiar?

You're referring to steppers. Most spindle motors aren't steppers, but
simple DC motors (2-wire, no feedback sensors or additional windings). I
know; I've got a box full of 'em that I've removed from old CD and DVD
drives. No pulsating DC, no PWM (which in any case isn't AC anyhow).

What you say is true of steppers, which are used for moving the laser
sled on a CD/DVD drive, but not the spindle motor.

--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
nuttin
wan2 hang