Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller[_2_] Doug Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Will propane flame melt copper brazing?

In article , Jim Yanik wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

In article
,
Matt wrote:

[...] I know other homebrewers have used caustic soda
with great results so I guess I will give that a shot.

Try washing soda first -- it's a lot more caustic than baking soda,
but not nearly as dangerous as caustic soda (aka lye). If you do use
caustic soda, make sure to wear rubber gloves and eye protection.

do you mean "borax"? (sodium tetraborate)it is often used as a
brazing/welding flux.

No, I mean washing soda (sodium carbonate).

Washing soda is available in many grocery stores on the same aisle as
laundry detergents. The most common brand is Arm & Hammer

Or 20 Mule Team Borax.

Which is, obviously, borax, NOT washing soda.