Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Are Tools A Better Investment Than Gold?

Gunner Asch on Tue, 12 Apr 2011 02:10:50 -0700
On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 22:40:22 -0700, "678.714.5764"
wrote:

On 4/11/2011 10:32 AM, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
One trend I have seen though several economic cycles is that quality
tools are a better investment than gold with holding their value,
appreciating and ability to convert into cash when needed.

Your thoughts on this curious trend?

I don't believe there is such a trend. I think you're imagining it.

In some cases..HAND tools may hold their values..and SOME machine tools
may not drop below a certain point.

But....even Hardinge HLV-Hs which once sold used for $11k..are now
selling for less than half that.

Guns are the only non gold/non Art item that I know of, that holds their
values to a certain extent.

That might be a result of them being sort of in the same class as
Hand Tools. Specific tools for specific purposes, for which a better
gizmo has not been invented, or at least the new gizmos are not
sufficiently superior to make the old style ones "obsolete". That is
to day, just as granddads Stanley wooden handled claw hammer will
still drive nails as well as the latest fiberglassed handle model, so
his lever action rifle by Winchester will still reach out an touch
someone as well as the latest high tech wonder from Firearms &
Doodads.
Which doesn't mean I don't want that polymer stocked bullpup
design from IDF, just that the 1938 Mauser still works well enough.

Boys and the price of their toys, and all that.
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!