Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Will propane flame melt copper brazing?

(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

In article
,
Matt wrote:

[...] I know other homebrewers have used caustic soda
with great results so I guess I will give that a shot.

Try washing soda first -- it's a lot more caustic than baking soda,
but not nearly as dangerous as caustic soda (aka lye). If you do use
caustic soda, make sure to wear rubber gloves and eye protection.

do you mean "borax"? (sodium tetraborate)it is often used as a
brazing/welding flux.
best to mix with boric acid,from what I've read,75/25 ratio is good.

Washing soda is available in many grocery stores on the same aisle as
laundry detergents. The most common brand is Arm & Hammer

Or 20 Mule Team Borax.

-- the box
looks pretty much like the familiar box of Arm & Hammer baking soda,
except it's a lot bigger.

propane is not hot enough for brazing,but OK for soldering.
you need oxy-MAPP or oxy-acetylene for brazing.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik