Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Are Tools A Better Investment Than Gold?

On Apr 12, 10:37*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 06:07:22 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins

wrote:
On Apr 11, 10:24*pm, wrote:
*But with the lathe and milling machine you can make and repair guns -
- -and other "necessary" things.-

Like generators, pumps and chainsaws, which are in high demand around
here after a bad storm. The question is what to take for payment for
such small jobs if the owner has run out of cash, the banks are closed
and you don't trust them enough for a check.

Tools, gasoline, kerosene, rice, fresh vegetables, fresh venison...
And PV panels or pedal time on the battery charger, eh?

The needier they are, the less likely to have those.

In my case there are enough close neighbors with generator problems to
keep me busy.

I'll have to look into that myself.

They are tradesmen with their own useful expertise. They leave their
old/broken power tools at my door anyway, like unwanted kittens, and I
hardly ever buy new ones.

jsw