Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stainless Grade Equivalents

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 20:15:19 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

I have need of stainless for various applications and to be frank the
local stores just don't stock much. The box stores have a modest
selection, but its all no grade listed Hillman crap. Their stainless is
worse than their packaged screws if that's possible.

I would like to have some idea what to search for for grades equivalent
to steel grades. Like what stainless bolt would I look for to be
roughly equal to a grade 8 steel bolt? A grade 5? Never mind grade 2.
Like I said, "the box stores have Hillman crap."

You can get 17-4 PH stainless fasteners from McMaster that have
approximately the same tensile strength as grade 8 screws. Only $7.06
_each_ for a 3/8-16x1 hex head cap screw. Even MIL spec 18-8 and 300
series stainless fasteners have approximately the same tensile
strength as grade 2 fasteners. There's probably nothing wrong with the
"Hillman crap."

LOL. All Hillman stuff unless labeled otherwise is grade 2 or worse.
(mostly a lot worse) As somebody who has been shooting screws my entire
life for various applications I never saw so many broken screws until
Hillman started dominating the market with their "we will fill it for you"
marketing. Its easier for resellers, but point blank package screws were a
lot better quality 20 years ago.

agreed.

compare any old stock box of fasteners to what you get a home depot
these days.

Hell, even even for bulk wood bolts, I have to hand sort the stuff a high
percentage is just deformed.