Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark[_30_] Mark[_30_] is offline

Default Stop heydon windfrm..

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 13:12:51 +0100, The Natural Philosopher

On 2011-04-08, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,

On 2011-04-08, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 23:05:47 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

I always knew Bliar was a liar. I'm begining to have a few suspicions
about Cameron.
Only suspicions?
That joke about how you can tell a politician is lying? (His mouth is
moving).

It isn't a joke.
Unfortunately this is an expected trend. Back when, politicians were
self-supporting and more trustworthy. Yes, yes, I know they were toffs
but so what, eh? They had a public service ethic. This was also true on
the Labour side (they weren't toffs but they were still trustworthy and
gentlemen).

Then along comes that nice Mr Wilson, and in the chase after
"trendiness", as aped later by Blair, he decides that he'll make Labour
appear modern and forward thinking (as opposed to those fuddy duddy old
tories) by having politicians become professional and properly paid.

Professionals is now what we've got, and our present-day attitude to
them follows as night follows day.

I beg to differ. Politicians are just the modern day equivalent of robber
barons. They were never "trustworthy gentlemen" - it's just that the
common people were deluded into thinking that.

ARE deluded.
Not Were.

I the olden days, you knew that's what they were. BUT they were also
mindful of not pushing it too far. Don't want trouble at t'mill etc.

Today, they don't have a mill. Politicians have nothing to lose but the
next election. AND if they have stitched up a cosy job on the board of
Subsidy Rapists Incorporated, they don't care if that happens either.

Exactly. It's not what they earn as an MP that attracts them. It's
all the directorships where they get paid a fortune for working 1 day
a year. And when they finish they will get a highly paid job no
matter how incompetent they are.

They should be paid well as MPs but banned from any other form of paid
employment during their term of office. And they should be forced to
get a proper job when they finish.

I am becoming more and more convinced that they are /all/
untrustworthy *******s.

The only glimmer of hope is if we get a better electoral system which
would end safe seats but I doubt that will actually happen.
--
(\__/) M.