Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stainless Grade Equivalents

On 4/11/2011 8:29 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
"Bob La wrote in message
On 4/11/2011 8:17 PM, Bob AZ wrote:
On Apr 11, 8:15 pm, Bob La wrote:
I have need of stainless for various applications and to be frank the
local stores just don't stock much. The box stores have a modest
selection, but its all no grade listed Hillman crap. Their stainless is
worse than their packaged screws if that's possible.

I would like to have some idea what to search for for grades equivalent
to steel grades. Like what stainless bolt would I look for to be
roughly equal to a grade 8 steel bolt? A grade 5? Never mind grade 2.
Like I said, "the box stores have Hillman crap."

Bob

McMaster-Carr. mcmaster.com

Bob AZ

A search for "grade 8 stainless" on their site only shows hex nuts. In
the suggested search items it shows 18-8, but does not say if that is the
same strength as Grade 8 bolts.

It's not. Not even close.

I think that a Grade 8 in stainless is one very special bolt -- either a
44X-series or a precipitation-hardening grade.

I did find some reference in a UK welding group that seemed to indicate
that A4-80 was close, but the only bolts I've found in that so far are
metric.