Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET is offline

Default Are Tools A Better Investment Than Gold?

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 10:32:10 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

One trend I have seen though several economic cycles is that quality
tools are a better investment than gold with holding their value,
appreciating and ability to convert into cash when needed.

Your thoughts on this curious trend?

TMT

Quality machines tend to hold their value better than lesser brands of
machines over the long run, BUT in depressed times their prices drop
like most things. Look at Iggy. He made some incredible buys for a
couple of years. Quality machines selling at the scrap metal price or
just over it. People just weren't buying last year. The market for
machine tools is smaller than the market for gold. No. I don't think
tools are as good an investment as gold, in that during depressed
times there are always buyers for gold, - maybe not at top dollar, but
not at giveaway prices either.

My sense however is that the prices of tools have begun to rebound.
I"m glad I was buying the past couple of years.

RWL