Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Will propane flame melt copper brazing?

"Evan" wrote in message
On Apr 11, 10:38 am, Matt wrote:
I have a heat exchanger made up of stainless steel plates brazed
together with copper filler. I have collected some crud inside the
exchanger that I can't for the life of me get out. I was thinking of
just placing the heat exchanger on my propane turkey fryer on low for
an hour or so to try to incinerate the crud inside and turn it into
ash. However, I don't want to melt the copper brazing and make the
unit useless. I have little experience with brazing, and never with
copper. Does anyone know if a propane flame will heat the brazing to
the point of melting?

Thanks.

Learn how to clean HVAC components like a professional...

Easy dawg. He's a homebrewer looking for advice on what is usually a hobby
business.

You are either using the wrong cleaner, the wrong cleaning tools OR not

repeating the process enough times...

Possibly, but his requirements differ slightly from the HVAC use of the
product and that could require cleaning methods that vary from the standard
industry practice.

If you have removed the component from its normally installed
location you could consider attempting to clean it in the dishwasher
if it will fit, or pressure washing it...

Now *that's* a good suggestion and I am surprised it didn't occur earlier in
this thread. Of course, I see every job as a pressure-washer job since I
got my 1st pressure washer. On the high setting with the microjet wand mine
strips paints, stones out of concrete and paint off cars. Should do the
trick here if you can get the nozzle close enough to the crud. Might want
to soak it in warm water with a surfactant or degreaser and then quick rinse
to aid the pressure washing process.

If the OP can better ID the composition of the crud, the chemistry could
better matched to decrudding the unit. I would think the last thing you'd
want in a heat exchanger is a residue of baked on crud blocking heat
transfer.

--
Bobby G.