Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Blew another damn transformer on my Trane XB80

On 4/11/2011 4:37 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

OK, that makes a bit of sense. Seems like a bit of bother
for what you can track down, with a VOM and some common
sense.

As usual, being an ignoramus, you completely miss the point.

The light bulb not only allows you to detect if there's a short causing
too high a current draw, but it also *saves the device under test* from
releasing the magic smoke if there is such a smoke.

If you use some other method of measuring current--break circuit and
insert ammeter, or use clamp-on-meter, the meter will tell you there's a
short, all right, at about the same time the transformer erupts in a
ball of smoke and fire.

--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
nuttin
wan2 hang