Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Blew another damn transformer on my Trane XB80

OK, that makes a bit of sense. Seems like a bit of bother
for what you can track down, with a VOM and some common
sense.

Reminds me of the time I got asked to change a thermostat.
New one needs common, old one did not. After several trips
to the roof, I got me some common sense. Still, it was a
rather long and tiring job. The first level of roof was
maybe 16 feet, and there was about a 4 foot rise to the next
level, so I ended up buying two ladders for that job. Worked
out, I've used both ladders several times since then.
Learned a lot, too.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"John Robertson" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
What is this "old light bulb trick"?

Wire a 25W - 75W incandescent light bulb in series with the
load
(transformer primary). If the light is bright then there is
a short in
either the primary or secondary side output. If it is bright
for a
second then dims right down (power supply caps charging up)
then there
is no serious short.

Picture of one such setup:

http://www.flippers.com/images/Overc...stJigFused.JPG

Note I recommend an isolation transformer. The fuse holder
is there so
the light can act as an indicator that the fuse has blown,
or remove the
fuse for "the light bulb test/trick".

John :-#)#

--
(Please post followups or tech enquiries to the
newsgroup)