Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wolfgang wolfgang is offline

Default Are Tools A Better Investment Than Gold?

On Apr 11, 5:14*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Apr 11, 3:54*pm, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

One trend I have seen though several economic cycles is that quality
tools are a better investment than gold with holding their value,
appreciating and ability to convert into cash when needed.

Your thoughts on this curious trend?

Gold broker:

"You should buy some gold--it's turned out to be a very good investment for
me"...

Me:

Okay, sounds great--but where I can buy some?

Gold broker:

"No problem"--"I got a really good price on some of it awhile back and would
be delighted to sell you a portion".....

--

*Snicker*...

Exactly right.

TMT

My opinion and family folklore point in the direction that good tools
and machinery, with the ability to use them effectively, go a long
way towards survival when the **** hits the fan.

While gold has been considered a store of value historically I think
that if the USA is in deep mire, other nations would be dragged down
with this. At that point the value of gold would be questionable.

But a guy who can repair stuff and can make equipment run with only
access to a scrap yard, he is worth serious food and other
considerations.

As to family lore. My father was a very gifted metal worker. After
WWII when you couldn't buy food, especially fresh fruit, milk, and
vegetables, my father purchased aluminum sheet cut-offs from his
employer and manufactured cooking pots and canning pots to order. My
mother went and traded these for the required food stuffs from the
local farmers who were very happy for these customized pots,
especially the canning pots.

Many of these pots were still in use 30 and more years later.

Just my thoughts.

Wolfgang