Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default Blew another damn transformer on my Trane XB80

Stormin Mormon wrote:
What is this "old light bulb trick"?

Wire a 25W - 75W incandescent light bulb in series with the load
(transformer primary). If the light is bright then there is a short in
either the primary or secondary side output. If it is bright for a
second then dims right down (power supply caps charging up) then there
is no serious short.

Picture of one such setup:

http://www.flippers.com/images/Overc...stJigFused.JPG

Note I recommend an isolation transformer. The fuse holder is there so
the light can act as an indicator that the fuse has blown, or remove the
fuse for "the light bulb test/trick".

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com