Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default How long can a TV extension cable be?

In article , MM
scribeth thus
On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 23:36:27 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Well it sounds like you have escaped that for the mo, although with the
switch to digital you may not be out of the woods yet ;-)

Right, the new LCD TV has arrived and I've set it up in the kitchen.
Found 77 digital TV channels, 35 Radio, 22 Data/Other (what ever those
are).

**It also found 14 analogue channels**, which astonished me. I had
always assumed a digital TV can only receive digital signals.

Nope.. Our new Sony receives analogue and digital expect that round
these parts analogue is off the air from the 13th but it still has its
uses for a couple of analogue security cams that are in the distribution
system...

I've
switched through BBC One, Two, ITV, Channel 4 and Five, no problem.
Five gives the best picture (reception).

Initially, I tried setting up the TV in the living room, the one place
where the picture was grainy on the analogue portable. The LCD TV said
"weak or no signal".

So there's definitely a problem there. To cease with the guess-work I
have measured the actual length of the cable from the amplifier to the
wall plate: 13 metres +/- 20cm

The length to the kitchen wall plate is a lot shorter. I haven't
measured it, but it'll be about 6m

MM

--
Tony Sayer