Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.energy.renewable,alt.home.repair

Default Feeding solar power back into municipal grid: Issues and finger-pointing

On 4/10/2011 10:02 PM Bruce Richmond spake thus:

On Apr 10, 3:54 am, David Nebenzahl wrote:

That second statement is correct: you can't "push" electrons into
the grid. But it doesn't matter *how* your inverters are working;
it's a basic law of physics.

If you apply more volts to a line than what it is carrying what do you
think happens? I run machines that use regenerative braking. They
draw energy from the line to set things in motion. To slow or stop
them the electric motor acts as a generator producing a higher voltage
than the grid, forcing power back into the grid. An inverter can do
the same thing using solid state circuits. The inverter in my Prius
takes DC current from the battery and converts it to whatever voltage
and frequency is needed at the time to run the variable frequency AC
motor. When slowing down the motor becomes an AC generator and the
inverter converts the output to a DC voltage just a bit higher than
the battery, pumping charge back into it.

Sorry, I don't think you know what you're talking about.

You seem to think that you can "force" or push "voltage" into a line, by
using a higher voltage than what's on the line.

That's not at all what's at work here when one has a photovoltaic system
and an intertie feeding power back into "the grid".

The intertie and the house's power connection are going to be at pretty
much exactly the same voltage. What happens is that the PV system is
connected *in parallel* with the grid; it's dumping more *current* into
the system, not more voltage.

You do understand the difference between current and voltage, don't you?

--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
nuttin
wan2 hang