Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Blew another damn transformer on my Trane XB80

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 09:30:50 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Actualy, no, you don't have to. I don't think you're
comptetent to answer this question. At work, I regularly
measure amperage without splicing into the circuit. You
should stick to things you know.

Measuring amperage without breaking into the circuit requires either
a current transformer or an "amp clamp" - which is either a current
transformer or a hall effect device (generally) depending on whether
it is AC or DC..

With DC there are also "magnetic" poximity amp meters that just sit
against or over the conductor. - and of course there is always the
"shunt" - which is technically part of the "ammeter" in series with
the load and the "meter" is a voltmeter reading the voltage drop
across the "shunt" which is just a very low resistance.