Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
York Hunte York Hunte is offline

Default I need a special nut

On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 22:03:01 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message
http://www.amazon.com/Cork-Butler-Co.../dp/B0007RRFMW

We bought this wine bottle opener for $2 at a yard sale, not noticing that
it was missing a part. It has never been used. It is missing the part
that is at the top of the 3 piece cylindrical shaped thing right under the
handle. What is sticking up now is a threaded end. It looks like
standard threads, 1/2" dia.

If I could describe the missing nut, it would look like a small cup with
threads inside.

Does anyone have any idea where I might find such an item? If it came to
it, I could make one by getting a nut, welding a top on it, and grinding
it down to round. But the real deal would be better.

Steve

I feel sorry for anyone that has a problem getting the cork out of a wine
bottle by using the centuries-tested-and-proven tool that's commonly called
a "cork screw"...

REALLY I DO...

First thing, if you open the bottle, you drink it...no sense "saving the
cork"...unless maybe you think you might need it for another bottle sometime
down the road...

Oxygen KILLS wine, and quickly--so unless you can purge the bottle with Co2
before re-corking your already ****ed anyways...might as well just drink it
now..

That said, if the cork comes apart then suggest simply push it on down into
the bottle....

--I'll personally guarantee you that the cork WILL float on top of the
liquid surface as you tip the bottle upside down to pour it--only very
rarely interfering with the out-flow because the incoming air will keep it
away from the bottle neck area.

Second thing, that ( IMO ) useless POS unit was probably imported from some
god forsaken communist country that currently enjoys a huge trade surplus
with the US--but hey now if it makes you somehow feel rich and sophisticated
to own one and for some reason you feel that you just can't live without it
then suggest cough up the cash and buy yourself another one and use for
spare parts.

( the sheer magnitude of the US trade deficit seldom surprises me )

I was sad because I had no shoes until I met a Frenchman who had no
corkscrew...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuGfjtBffiE