Posted to uk.d-i-y
Newshound Newshound is offline

Default paving slab cutting

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

In the past I've always used an angle grinder to cut paving slabs. Is
that what everyone here does? I've got a tile saw that cuts with a wet
diamond blade and I have been told you can get a bigger version that
will cut slabs. I suppose this will have two advantages: it will cut
wet, so will produce less dust and it will have a fence to ensure a
straighter cut than a freehand cut with an angle grinder. Has anyone
used one of these? What did you think? What is the minimum spec I
should look for when hiring/buying? I presume motor power is important
to cut thick slabs.

Thanks,
Stephen.

Unless you have a very convenient local hire shop, I'd invest in a budget 9
inch / 230 mm grinder and diamond blade. Maybe something like this?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...LE+GRINDER.htm

Even the cheap blades (Aldi, Lidl, Screwfix) last pretty well. You will get
a lot of dust cutting dry (but I wouldn't try to cut "wet" with one). I
wouldn't try to cut a slab on a tile saw. The big grinders are a bit more
fierce than the 115 mm ones, especially if they don't have soft start. But
they are *very* effective.