Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry Casey[_2_] Terry Casey[_2_] is offline

Default How long can a TV extension cable be?

In message on Sun, 10 Apr 2011
12:30:10 +0100
MM wrote:

I've now seen that the FULL output socket on the amp is supposed to
have a terminator if nothing is connected to it. According to the user
guide I downloaded, the installer is supposed to fit this. He didn't.

Can one get a terminator from Wilkinson, or do I have to order one
online?

Unlikely!

A terminator is just a 75 ohm resistor. 'F' type terminators are available but,
if your amp uses 'Belling' style connectors (like an ordinary aerial
plug/socket on a TV, find a local shop that sells components - or go to Maplin
- and buy a 75 ohm resistor (the old fashioned kind with wire connections) and
a plug. (If you can't get a 75 ohm resistor, 82 ohms is acceptable.)

Fit the resistor inside the plug between the centre pin and the body. If you
have a soldering iron, it is easiest to solder the wire onto the cable clamp -
as well as the centre pin, of course - but otherwise you will have to devise
your own method of trappimg it between the clamp and the body. This will vary
slightly from one plug manufacturer to another.

This will NOT fix your current problem, though - but it might fix other
problems with you DTV reception that you aren't even aware of at the moment!

--

Terry